Good Timing.

As I found my leggings (of all things) fitting very snugly and none of my pants fitting yesterday, I was happy to randomly stumble upon this blog post:

http://www.birdsofashmae.com/2013/07/carrying-evidence-ode-to-my-post-baby.html

I whole-heartedly agree with this mom (and love her artwork!).  We women have a tendency to expect so much of ourselves, and so fast.  I try to remind myself - and others - that it took nine months to get there, and it's going to take a little bit to come back down.  And I love the sentiment of appreciating what our body has created and carried and been through.  Here's one of my favorite parts:

"I carried her in this meadow of a body for nine months.  She stretched me and rested her sweet head against my ribs.  We listened to each other late at night and tried to learn what the world would offer the two of us.  She moved her little legs when I lay still and in the end she came wailing into the world through the same c-section incision her brother did, and it was sacred.  I am not eager to erase the evidence of that for the sake of looking awesome.  I don't think we should have to ask our body to snap back into something it once was, because the fact is, after being pregnant,  it is not the thing it once was. I see so many friends who want to have children, but can't, and I think they would trade imperfection for the opportunity."

Honestly, I had hoped to "bounce back" quicker with this one.  But let's be realistic, with three young kiddos at home with me all day, there is not a lot of time right now for structured exercise.  The time will come though, I hope...

And with that in mind, I pour another glass of egg nog and embrace the holidays!  While I anxiously  check the mail, awaiting a new pair of jeans in a size up.  There's always a silver lining, right? :)

Simply because it's so stinkin' cute ... from pinterest.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing. Loved "I've grown to love the story my body tells. I am not eager to erase the evidence of my motherhood. It's something I've worked too hard for to pretend it isn't there." A good reminder to me. Also good to apply to my increasingly noticeable forehead creases and crows feet. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts