A Learning Sweater.

Remember this? http://brighteyesinthemorning.blogspot.com/2010/09/happenings.html


Well, it's finally finished! And it has most definitely been a learning sweater for me. Bry's pretty sweet (although you can't tell by the picture -- that's his "I hate being on your blog" look)... Anyway, what did I learn?


**Surprise sweaters are a bad idea for beginners. I tried to sneakily finish it in time for his birthday without telling him, and this did not work out well. Constant measuring against the recipient should be done if possible. Otherwise you may end up with a sleeve big enough to fit the 700-pound man. This extra warmth is now stitched tidily inside :) I don't think that's a legit technique, but Bry doesn't seem to mind...


**I don't mind seaming as much as I thought I did. In fact I like it a whole lot better than hiding the strings.


**Knitting garments for grown adults should be saved for only the most special of special in your life. And you also need to factor in -- "Do they love me enough to wear this even if it looks very, very homemade and not very much like the picture in the beautiful book?"


If Bry is being honest about truly liking his sweater then I know it will be worn. Most likely, it will be worn for 35 consecutive days this summer under rain gear and will come home crumpled up in a plastic bag smelling like fish. That's okay because that's what it's for. xoxo


Comments

  1. Way to go Jackie! Looks good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steeking is the knitting technique of making a too-big sweater smaller by sewing a seam, and then cutting off the excess. :)

    I think it looks good! And a lesson I learned from my mom is that there are no errors in knitting, only design features. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jackie, it's awesome! I am so impressed!! It looks great, and I can see a lot of love went into it. :) Love the last picture!!<3 Finally a smile...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts