Summer Book Review: The Nesting Place


"It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful."  Just what I needed to hear right now.  A little while ago I went on an Amazon binge and bought a few books for summer reading.  I wanted to share a couple trinkets from this last quick read -- The Nesting Place by Myquillin Smith -- that found a place in my heart right now....

"I don't open my home because it's finally done and presentable.  I share it for the same reason I wear a bikini to the pool.  It's not because I think I look great in it.  It's because I'm finally okay that I don't.  It's the same with our home.  I don't share because it's perfect; I share it because I'm finally okay that it's not."
-Myquillin Smith

"Everyone gets to decide how happy they want to be, because everyone gets to decide how grateful they are willing to be."  
- Ann Voskamp

and finally:

The Imperfectionist Manifesto

We believe that home should be the safest place on earth.
We believe that home has a greater purpose than looking pretty.
We believe that authenticity trumps perfection.
We believe in mismatched sheets and unmade beds.
We believe that the things in our house are there to serve us, not the other way around. 
We believe that toys and homework and smelly shoes and spilled milk are signs of life.
We believe in using the good stuff now, not waiting for some future better purpose.
We believe in handmade.
We believe that contentment results not from stuff but from gratitude.
We believe that decorating done good enough is better than decorating postponed.
We believe we are all creative because we are all made in the image of a creative God.
We believe that it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

Our family is in somewhat of a housing holding pattern.  In our current habits, we are starting to outgrow this space.  But this is our home and I love it.  My kids love it.  There is plenty of potential here and I was needing some moral support.  I found not only lots of inspiration, but also solace and peace of mind from The Nesting Place.  Another reminder to enjoy the present moment and be grateful for our blessings.  

Now on to Clutterfree With Kids -- ha! :)

Comments

Popular Posts